Thursday, November 20, 2014

Journaling Bible - Meditating on You in My Bed = Peaceful Rest - Psalm 63:6


Meditating on the Lord when we are in bed and about to sleep - is a beautiful thing! I love both Barnes and Clarke's commentary on this verse. If you need Peaceful sleep and peaceful rest, then delight yourselves in the Lord while on your bed. 

Barnes: "I remember thee upon my bed - See the notes at Psa 42:8. That is, when I lie down at night; when I compose myself to sleep. Nothing can be more proper than that our last thoughts, as we sink into quiet slumber, should be of God; of his being, his character, his mercy, his loving-kindness; of the dealings of his providence, and the manifestations of his grace toward us, during the day; and nothing is better suited to compose the mind to rest, and to induce quiet and gentle slumber, than the calmness of soul which arises from the idea of an Infinite God, and from confidence in him. Often when restless on our beds - when nothing else will lull the body to rest, the thought of God - the contemplation of his greatness, his mercy, and his love - the sweet sense of an assurance of his favor will soothe us, and cause us to sink into gentle repose. So it may be - so it will be - when we are about to sleep the long sleep of death, for then the most appropriate thoughts - the thoughts that will best prepare us for that long sleep - will be thoughts of God." 

Clarke: "When I remember thee upon my bed - I will lie down in thy fear and love; that I may sleep soundly under thy protection, and awake with a sense of thy presence and approbation; and when I awake in the night watches, or be awakened by them, I will spend the waking moments in meditation upon thee." 

Upon a request of a friend on Instagram, I made this scripture into a print:


It looks pretty, doesn't it? :) 

Instant downloadable prints and bookmarks of this design is coming up soon! If you are interested, please leave a comment and I'll get to it instead of procrascinating! :)

#journalingbiblecommunity #journalingbible #meditate #scriptureart #illustratedfaith #Godlovesyou #dailydevotional

No comments:

Post a Comment